Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 1: Whaling

When I got into the office, I went to straight work research and started doing research for the Charles W. Morgan whaling ship. It was one of the ships I believe would be perfect for a script. I was shown the museum's library and found ships that pertain to whaling but I really struck gold when I found a book that is all about the Charles W. Morgan. I started reading the book and took notes on what is important that could be relevant to a script while eliminating all the dry information.  One of my favorite topics that was mentioned in the book was called a sleigh ride; if a harpooner successfully hit a whale and the whale took off heading toward the horizon. The men had to keep hold of the harpoon line and the whale could have towed them for miles before tiring themselves out.After enough book research, I believe I have enough information to get a rough script going.

(The ship still EXISTS and is currently undergoing a restoration to become seaworthy again)
But my research was cut short for the day because one of the scheduled gallery attendants called in sick so I volunteered to work the gallery. So I went to the Preview Center and worked the front desk. Unlike the East Wing, the Preview Center does not have an admission fee but is donation based.

The Preview Center is what the Nautical Museum has planned for the future. A complete remodel and tear down of the current museum is the plan. The focus of the new museum is sea exploration, discoveries, and interactive exhibits. They plan on keeping the nautical history as part of the new museum.

People often asked me when the construction would begin. I often responded with "in the future". I truly had no idea but at least it made a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment