Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 13: Family Fun Zone Friday

As promised I did in fact buy a costume for the whaler the day before.

I show up to work on time only to find that no one is here. So I decided to walk around the fun zone, it was interesting for me to see all the different shops get ready for the Friday rush. Eventually one of the other employees let me in and I started reading over the script. Even though I did the research and wrote it, I read over it a lot.

The boss comes in and tells me that they a costume ready to go for me. I have to admit the one they picked out was a lot better looking than the one I got. To my pleasant surprise I also learned that were other props for me to use: two different kinds of harpoons (one flu and toggle) and a real whale skull! It was a minke whale skull, a minke whale is the second smallest baleen whale. And that skull was heavy!

I spent the day doing some basic work while reading over the script. I also found pictures of whales and whaling ships on the web to help people get a better visual of what whaling might be like.

It turns out that the whole Family Fun Zone Friday was a big deal. There were lots of volunteers, games, a magician, and a juggler. It drew a pretty big crowd but the most interesting thing was a tv crew talking to people about the event.

Eventually they interviewed me. I should have the link below (I believe 7min is where my interview starts)

http://newportbeach.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=45&clip_id=1590

I like to think I did a good job. And it proved to me that I am doing something beneficial for the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment