Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 20: Telemarketing

Now that I have two scripts completed it's time to get to work on the third. I stopped by the library before work to pick up a book that I put on reserve. While I was waiting for the library to open I met a lady who talking to me about the differences between East and West Coast. It was a strange and interesting conversation but I got my book and headed to the museum.

I crack open the book, which is about the USS Essex, and the boss asks me if I can do something else for her. Without thinking I say "What do you need me to do?". I am handed a list of people and phone numbers.

I am supposed to call these numbers as a follow up to the membership letters that I sent out a couple weeks ago. Calling all these numbers was a truly daunting task; I have no idea how telemarketers can do this day in and day out.

I don't know how many phone numbers I called but I only got one person who wanted to renew their membership immediately. I did however get many people who flat out refused and they often gave me an explanation as to why. Many of these didn't believe in the direction that the museum was heading (less focus on nautical history). One person said that the new building would obstruct their view. Go figure.

I didn't get much research done but I did get to experience a completely different side of what it takes to make a museum function.

No comments:

Post a Comment